A truck driver on the road may need many tools and other small items to repair the vehicle. Toolboxes are installed on the truck for convenient storage and safety on the road. They keep the contents protected from the environment, dirt and precipitation.
Perfect toolbox for the truck at a glance
Generally speaking, the equipment of the truck toolbox should be adapted to the skills of the motorist. If you are sure that you can change a tire in an emergency but prefer to leave the removal and installation of glow plugs or spark plugs to a mechanic or professional in the workshop of your choice, you can of course reduce your equipment in the toolbox by a few instruments.
When searching for a suitable toolbox for a truck, on the one hand, differences in the sizes offered quickly become apparent. Hobbyists who only try their hand at being a mechanic on their own car to a small extent usually opt for a smaller version.
The large truck tool cases, on the other hand, hold far more than 200 parts and are therefore also suitable for commercial or professional use.
An individually perfect tool case is therefore characterized above all by:
- the high quality of its equipment;
- robust workmanship;
- a wide space for different tools.
Toolboxes usually have a rectangular shape, they are like boxes, which have a hinged lid to be able to open and close the box without problems. On the lid you will find some latches, which can be of different materials and shapes, there are plastic ones, metal ones with holes for padlocks, and so on. A simple toolbox consists of a lid that can be opened from the side or in the middle and some removable trays to store and organize certain tools.
Despite the above, not all toolboxes are similar, there are some that use drawers that open outwards, others that have cantilevered trays and there are also those that have tool storage containers; with separator trays. Likewise, there are toolboxes that have compartments and come in sort of modular.
Toolboxes bear a great deal of weight, so their material of manufacture must be strong.
The first toolboxes were made of metal or wood, however, this made them very heavy. Nowadays, there are toolboxes made of different materials, but steel boxes are still predominant, as they are more resistant.
Types of toolboxes for the truck
All of the models presented differ in terms of manufacturer, size, shape, and method of installation, but one of the main parameters is the material of manufacture:
- Metal toolboxes on trucks are strong and durable, but they have their drawbacks. They are quite heavy, expensive, and sometimes prone to corrosion (depending on the type of metal). That said, such models have the right to exist and are also in demand.
- Plastic toolboxes on the truck are cheaper and almost as strong as their metal counterparts. The main thing is not to buy products of unknown brands at a throwaway price, which can be made of brittle short-lived plastic.
Toolbox for truck Best Choice
Dee Zee 46
Toolbox constructed of heavy duty Brite-Tread aluminum. Black Tread powder coat, provides a gloss black finish while it protects and prevents oxidation.
- 4,4 Rating
- With Side Handles for Easy Portability.
- Removable plastic tool tray.
Best Truck Toolboxes on the market:
Rubbermaid ActionPacker️ Toolbox
- Rating: 4,7 ∗∗∗∗∗
- Load Capacity: 48 Gal.
- Durable and strong with lockable latches.
TruXedo TonneauMate Toolbox
- Rating: 4,7 ∗∗∗∗∗
- Mounts under a truck bed cover for added security.
- The design allows for front, middle or rear placement in the truck bed.
Undercover SwingCase Truck Bed Storage Box
- Rating: 4,6 ∗∗∗∗∗
- Fits 2002 – 2018 Dodge Ram 1500-3500 Passenger.
- Toolbox swings out nearly 180° towards you for easy access.
Weather Guard Aluminum Low Profile Saddle Box
- Rating: 4,8 ∗∗∗∗∗
- 90° cover opening for easy access.
- Crimp-free/drill-free install mounting brackets.
Buyers Products Diamond Tread Aluminum Underbody Truck Box with T-Handle Latch
How To Choose a Truck Tool Box?
For easy storage of your work tools and their transportation, special toolboxes are used, inside of which there are cells and locks for fastening. There are many models on the world market from budget to premium. So how to choose a universal spacious toolbox, so that the purchase was practical and profitable? For starters, you need to know how they differ and what preference to choose.
There are hundreds of manufacturers on the market who offer to buy quality cases. But, unfortunately, the materials and their durability vary greatly. In the pursuit of economy, buyers buy cheap Chinese fakes that do not withstand the load they are supposed to and break from the weight or frost. After that, you again have to buy another model and re-purpose the entire tool.
Therefore, when buying give preference only top quality brands, such as Undercover, Weather Guard, which are designed for professional use and are made of quality material that will be comfortable, with solid construction and fasteners. It is also worth paying attention to the number of sections and imagining what exactly you will be folding. Maybe you need a larger size. The popular size is considered to be 25 inches.
A toolbox is a handy accessory that allows you to keep your entire arsenal of household or work-related items in one place. Since ancient times, craftsmen have made for themselves portable wooden boxes with a handle, in which they placed carpentry or locksmith’s tools.
The approach to work organization has changed, and tools have become less bulky and more functional. A modern toolbox for the car or for work should be ergonomic, lightweight, and roomy enough so that you do not need to buy a new one when replenishing your tool arsenal. How to choose a toolbox and what to look for?
Factors to consider when choosing a set of tools
Tools for the car are divided into professional and household tools. Car enthusiasts use them periodically, for uncomplicated work. Professionals in the service station will use a set of tools constantly, so they choose a highly specialized, from a particularly durable alloy, expensive version of the numerous set.
When choosing a set it is better to focus not on the brand of the product, but on its content, that is, the presence of the necessary tools, the material of manufacture.
The price of the set depends primarily on the number of elements in it. Kits can consist of a minimal list of only the most popular items for car enthusiasts to the most extended, professional set for car repair shops and service stations.
A list of tools that you can’t do without when servicing your vehicle:
Without wrenches, it is impossible to start car repairs. The most widespread wrenches are horn and ring wrenches of different sizes. Combination double-sided wrenches in sizes from 6 to 18 mm are convenient to use. There are now on sale universal keys with one edge as a classic carving wrench and the other one as a ring spanner.
When changing wheels, you will also need a special wheel wrench.
One ratchet is sufficient, on the handle of which a socket head corresponding to a nut can be fastened. The ratchet mechanism makes it much easier to work with threaded connections, even in tight conditions. The 72-tooth ratchet is considered the most popular and has a polypropylene-based coating for more comfortable use and to protect the metal from harmful external influences.
Sockets and sockets
These are a set of different sockets that are used to loosen and tighten nuts, bolts, and other fasteners. They come in a variety of designs, sizes, and working surface shapes, so they are needed in large numbers. The premium auto locksmith sets have as many as 70 of them.
If you plan to work in hard-to-reach places and not to get injured when repairing the car, you need to add a special extension to the set.
They come in cross and spline screwdrivers. Without them, you can not replace the part, fixed with screws, for example, in the interior of the car. To unscrew small nuts, such as on the battery terminals, you will need a screwdriver with a socket head. You can have several different models or one with a set of interchangeable tips. Flexible screwdrivers are becoming increasingly popular, as well as those with magnetized tips.
Pliers, pliers, and wire cutters are sure to be needed when working with electrical wires.
Working with small parts is convenient with pliers. You’ll need pliers to handle cylindrical parts.
No screwdriver works without these parts. They are metal oblong hexagons, with which screws and self-drilling screws are unscrewed and screwed in. They are needed not only for motorists, will be useful for home repair work. Bits differ in shape, size, material, and presence of protective coating. For example, titanium nitride coating (TIN coating) makes them super strong.
Needed for removing the oil filter with a special adjustable chain. Some models use a metal or heavy rubber band for this purpose.
Additional important items
Experienced experts recommend having also files, a hammer, a flashlight, and other various devices and tools, without which it is difficult to take care of the car. They are rarely included in the kit, so you have to buy them separately.
For rational, neat storage and safe moving sets of the most different sets are organically placed in specially adapted cases or small suitcases.
An alloy containing chromium and vanadium. These additives give metal products the necessary strength, reliability, and resistance to corrosion. It is used to make most of the tools that are preferred by both car enthusiasts and professionals.
Alloy with chrome and molybdenum.
It is used in the manufacture of tools for car repair shops, which are characterized by super strength and wear resistance. The chrome coating can be either mirror or a matt.
This metal is usually used to make budget products. Steel tools are not particularly durable but are quite suitable for beginners car enthusiasts who do not use them often.
When choosing a set, the make of the car should be taken into account. Domestic and foreign manufacturers have different sizes of fasteners. The measurement system can be inch or metric. Larger tools will be needed for trucks.
The process of selecting tools should be approached responsibly and take into account the following nuances:
- Choose a set of tools for the car in a suitcase made of practical durable plastic, with reinforced corners, reliable locks, convenient sockets-holders, so that the items inside do not make noise when transporting or carrying.
- The presence in the complete set of the most necessary tools for periodic maintenance or repair of the car.
- It is more convenient and easier to work with a screwdriver with a magnetized tip. It is distinguished from the usual one by its black color.
- Make sure the handles are covered with a rubberized, insulating material. This ensures that the tool will hold firmly even in wet hands and protects it from possible electrical injury.
The metal surfaces of the tools must be rough so that they cannot slip out of your hands even when in contact with lubricants.
Choosing by type of instrument
Looking at the wide range of organizers, presented in the online stores of hand tools, the buyer is born with several questions:
- How big should the drawer be?
- Is it better to use plastic or metal?
- Does the box need a large number of compartments?
- Are the transport wheels the toolbox is equipped with useful?
In order not to search for tools around the garage and conveniently transported, it is better to buy a special set. Manufacturers produce sets of the most popular tools for car repair, placed in a convenient and durable suitcase.
Remember the rules:
- Never store cutting tools: saws, knives, chisels, chisels, planers together with metal tools: hammers, pliers, wrenches, adjustable wrenches, metal shears or rivets;
- Tools intended for electrical work should be stored separately from other tools. This is due to their rather weak construction and their tendency to damage working parts. The cutting surfaces of wire cutters, scissors, wire strippers, and screwdriver tips are not designed to work with hard metals. Electrical tools work well with aluminum and copper, and deteriorate when you try to cut through a steel nail;
- Power tools: drills, screwdrivers, electric planers, grinders, if they do not have individual cases, it is better to store them separately from the rest of the tool. This way they are less damaged and retain their attractive appearance longer;
- These criteria are fully met by the boxes, consisting of 2-4 separate containers put one on top of the other. But such designs are quite bulky and expensive. A handyman with no more than ten different tools does not need such storage.
Choice of material
Till now many are of the opinion that metal is stronger than plastic. Therefore, many tend to buy a toolbox made of steel or aluminum. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as it will stand in the corner of the pantry for years, and tools will be taken out of it only in case of emergency.
Even aluminum drawers are heavier than plastic ones. When transporting it, this is noticeable. Metal deforms easily. After a year of active use, if you decide to do construction work, such crates are severely scratched and lose their appearance. Plastic crates may be covered with a thick layer of construction dust, but after washing will look like new.
If funds allow and there is a place to store should purchase several drawers, for different types of tools. If only one drawer is purchased – then you should strive to choose a design that provides:
- Maximum number of compartments;
- Transformable interior space;
- Removable tray for small items;
- A removable organizer that can be fastened to the belt while working.
Stanley drawers have these features to the fullest extent. Their range is extremely large – from the most modest, to designs that are as tall as a man.
Car toolbox for the truck
A toolbox in the car is a must-have accessory even for the not-so-experienced driver. Usually try to buy a box, already equipped with all the accessories necessary for simple repair in the field conditions. The greatest attention is paid to the presence of socket heads, open-end wrenches, spanner wrench, screwdrivers. But many people forget about the hammer, pliers, ax, and saw. For the car are convenient aluminum cases with insertable organizers, which are convenient to place near you under the car or on the engine with the hood open.
Metal toolboxes are the most widely used toolboxes nowadays. Mostly, in mechanical workshops and in a static way. They are also the main choice of those individuals who wish to transport very heavy tools, which deform plastic toolboxes.
Normally these types of boxes are used in one place only, they are not the best to move from one place to another because of their weight.
If you want to carry tools with you from one place to another, plastic boxes are recommended, as they are lighter and more manageable.
Advantages and disadvantages of metal toolboxes
This type of box has excellent advantages, they are extremely solid and resistant. Also, they come in an infinite number of sizes and models. An extra plus point for metal toolboxes is their durability.
- They are an excellent choice for those people who do not need to move from one place to another and have their tools in a specific place.
- The downside of metal tool boxes is: they are usually very heavy and difficult to transport. In addition, this material tends to rust if it is not properly maintained.
- Another point to note is that metal toolboxes can have sharp edges. These can cause damage to those who handle this element and also to the surfaces with which it comes into contact.
This material is a bestseller nowadays.
Although they are less resistant than the metal ones, these toolboxes are favorite ones. They come in a variety of models and sizes.
Advantages and disadvantages of plastic toolboxes
- The only disadvantage of plastic tool boxes is that they do not support the same amount of weight as metal and wood boxes, making them a flimsy option compared to the aforementioned.
- Despite the above, these boxes shine for their incredible benefits; they are lightweight, easy to transport, washable, have multiple compartments, and usually have a lower price in the market.
Different designs of toolboxes
In the market, you will find toolboxes with different features, which have different designs and functionalities, such as removable compartments, cantilever types, and others.
Which toolbox to choose according to its compartments? The truth is, each of these types of boxes has its specific advantages.
Toolboxes with pull-out tray
Toolboxes with a removable tray have a tray inside with a handle, which can be removed to allow tools to be dumped into the bottom of the box. You then place the tray back on top of the tools, and it can have two divisions. This allows you to better organize the items.
Extendable or cantilever type toolboxes
Cantilever tool boxes are great for organizing. They have several compartments. However, they do not pull out, but fold into the box itself thanks to an overhang. This makes it easy to see all your tools. This system of folding and unfolding trays is known as a cantilever and its main advantage is that it allows you to store many tools in very little space.
Most truck tool boxes today are made of robust plastic. This protects all utensils and is also resistant to signs of wear. However, since the selection in terms of the right automotive case can be much larger than expected, you should always use a comparison of models from different manufacturers before making the final purchase decision.