Rooftop cargo carrier bags for the outdoors
Waterproof, durable, and extremely big, roof rack bags make the most perfect choice and are an essential addition to every vehicle.
The Best Car Top Carriers
About the author. Max Welder is a mechanic enthusiast. Currently, working at a small company. Experienced in electronics, car tools and security systems. In his spare time, he writes articles for various blogs. Read More…
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Thanks for helping us do what we love.
Rooftop cargo bag - Best Choice
FIVKLEMNZ Car Roof Bag Cargo Carrier
– 15 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag.
– Fivklemnz rooftop cargo carrier fits for any car, truck, or SUV.
Best Roof Cargo Box Reviews
Best Rooftop Cargo Carriers
FIVKLEMNZ Car Roof Bag Cargo Carrier
– 15 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more
– 8 reinforced adjustable straps
– Easy to install
RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
– 15 cubic feet
– 100% waterproof, no stitching, waterproof coated zipper and straps
– Fits SUVs, vans and medium to large sedans
ROLA Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag
– Multiple zippers allow the bag to expand from 9.5 to 11.5 cu ft
– Made from a premium-quality, rainproof material with sonically welded seams
– 6 straps on this carrier provide safe and secure attachment to the hitch mount cargo tray and baskets
CURT Extended Roof Rack Cargo Bag
– Made from thick, 500 x 500-denier, UV-resistant vinyl
– Features welded seams to be truly waterproof
– Tiedown straps securely attach to cargo carrier frame
TOOLGUARDS Car Top Carrier Roof Bag
– Made from durable military-grade tarpaulin
– 100% waterproof features and zippers
– Features double-layer welded components as well as freeze-resistant clips & straps, for a roof bag that will last
RoofPax Car Roof Bag & Rooftop Cargo Carrier
– Premium quality car top bag is made of military-grade materials
– Waterproof dual seam technology and water-repellent double coating
– Features include a built-in protective mat and 10 elastic velcro strap restrainers to prevent strap flapping
Reese Explore Rainproof Cargo Tray Bag
– 15 Cubic Feet of dry storage
– Rainproof construction with 6 tie-down points included
– Keeps cargo clean and folds flat for easy storage when not in use
JUSTINCASE Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
– 15 CF that expands to 19 CF
– 100% waterproof 600D PVC fabric, with ultra-durable dual-seam
– advanced design
Mockins Roof Rack Rooftop Cargo Carrier
– made from heavy-duty abrasion ressitant vinyl
– an extra 2 ratchet straps & cargo net
– the 6″ high metal side rails of our roof rack car top cargo basket carrier
All our reviews are based only on expert judgment or practical experience with most of the rooftop cargo bags we consider. We strive to ensure that our leadership is independent and as detailed as possible.
What are rooftop rack bags?
Rooftop bags are, like the name indicates, storage bags that are mounted on the top of your car’s roof. Using these bags, you can significantly expand the available storage room in your car by storing part of your gear on the roof.
But rooftop cargo bags differ slightly from the big cargo boxes you may see attached to some other cars. Whilst a cargo box is a portable storage unit constructed from hard plastic, rooftop cargo bags are commonly made from flexible canvas or nylon that is coated with polyurethane.
Also, rooftop bags usually are smaller and more affordable when compared to their cargo box counterparts. Therefore, they are more appropriate for people who need to transport a modest volume of equipment and clothes from time to time, instead of permanent roof racks for carrying skis.
Do I need a roof rack for the carry bag?
It made to be. Some carry bags are made to be used either with or without a roof rack, whereas others require a roof rack to mount them. Most carry bags that can be used without a roof rack typically state this clearly in their advertising material.
In case you are uncertain whether a roof rack is suitable for use with your car, you require consulting the manufacturer for more specific guidance.
When it comes to picking the proper cargo carrier for your specific needs, you have a lot of things to take into account. If you’re carrying fragile or vital belongings, go for a hard-shell version for added coverage from the weather elements. The majority of these feature the option to be locked in order to secure the items inside.
In contrast, soft roof bags are excellent if you require packing as many items as you can because they can conform to the contents. They’re in addition cheaper and can be stored a lot simpler once no longer in use since they are foldable. You can also choose a cargo rack alternatively if you require carrying paddleboards or canoes.
To guide you in choosing the best-suited option to meet your unique needs, we searched thousands of consumer reports to determine their preferred rooftop cargo carriers. From tough hard-shell cargo carriers to watertight rooftop bags and options designed to turn carrying sports tools into a snap, here are the nine best car rooftop racks that customers reach for time and time again. Read on to discover much more concerning them and to pick one up for yourself.
Review of Top 9 best rooftop bags
Made from durable and wear-resistant 700D oxford fabric, this 100% waterproof car roof bag is not only stylish, but it is also unbelievably handy and long-lasting. Able to offer up to 15 cubic feet of extra storage room, you will never need to worry about leaving your favorite belongings at home ever again.
With heat-welded stitching and a watertight zipper, this bag will keep your belongings secure even on the open road, and its double zipper flap keeps out water and keeps undesirable rust from building up.
This smart carry bag is big enough to fit the contents of as many as 6 suitcases, and it can be mounted to any make or model of the automobile, using either the existing rooftop railing or the supplied straps and 4 door hooks.
This spacious carry bag is simple to manage and quick to secure. It holds a tent, sleeping bags, additional clothing and more, and is, therefore, the ideal attachment for family camping trips and longer road tours.
- 15 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage cases, tents, sleeping bags, and more
- 8 reinforced adjustable straps
- Equipped with free anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag stay in place
- Easy to install
- fits for any car, truck, or SUV
- Watertight storage space
- Over-sized cargo room
- No roof rails needed; supplied with four-door hooks for bare roofs
- Not inconspicuous: big, bright orange logo.
- Works poorly with crossbars as it is meant to be flush on the roof
There are some fairly apparent benefits to choosing a roof bag over a roof box. Whereas money is normally high on the list, roof bags enable you to free up some additional storage space on the top of your car if necessary. They are easy and straightforward to mount, and when not in need, they can be conveniently folded up and put away.
The RoofBag roof carrier helps maximize this versatility by providing you with a range that’s fully compliant with all kinds of roof systems – from standard side rails, cross rails, and baskets. In fact, there is one model that will operate with empty roofs also. Simply pick the desired size bag (11 cubic feet or 15 cubic feet) and go on to pick the mounting system that is appropriate for your vehicle’s roof.
The harness belts are tough and capable of holding a load of up to 3,000 pounds. The bag is constructed of tear and flame-proof zippered waterproof fabric, enabling you to ride throughout a windstorm with no concern for your belongings.
- 15 cubic feet
- 100% waterproof, no stitching, waterproof coated zipper and straps
- Safest roof bag: Straps not sewn to the cargo bag
- The mat protects roof and prevents shifting of the car roof bag
- Fits SUVs, vans, and medium to large sedans
- Smaller bag a great option for sedans
- Offers four options to choose from
- May be used with a bare roof, roof rack, crossbar, or roof basket
- Users report that the bag slides a bit if not filled fully
- Just two belts, a ratchet strap may be necessary for extra safety
This incredibly practical tote bag is made of high-quality waterproof vinyl fabric that will keep your belongings safe and dry wherever you go. It can withstand all weather conditions, from wind to snow to rain.
Thanks to sonic welding technology and rain covers that protect the zippers, even pouring rain won’t find its way inside to soak your stuff, and the super-tough closures keep the bag firmly attached to your vehicle.
With an ultra-large 20 cubic feet of storage space, this bag is perfect for a 60 x 24-inch rack, and its lightweight makes it easy to pack down to a compact size when not in use.
The 3 straps on the front of the carrier and another 3 on the back ensure that the bag stays securely attached even on uneven ground, and the shapeless design means that it’s easy to adjust the shape to fit the dimensions of your carrier.
Although very spacious, this bag is easy to remove from your car, and with its ability to protect your cargo box from rain, it will also help you get the most out of your transport potential in no time.
- Multiple zippers allow the bag to expand from 9.5 to 11.5 cu ft
- Made from a premium-quality, rainproof material with sonically welded seams
- 6 straps on this carrier provide safe and secure attachment to the hitch mount cargo tray and baskets
- Collapsible design
- Constructed from premium quality rainproof material with sonically sealed seams
- Premium quality rainproof construction provides protection
- Cargo bag with a high storage capacity of 20 cubic feet
- Flaps prevent zippers from rusting
- Complete protection against most weather elements
- Zippers can be tricky (but once you master them, it works)
When you are searching for a sturdy and secure cargo carrier, then this is the perfect option for you. It is ultra-space-efficient and offers you optimum storage space.
Its exterior is made of black vinyl, which makes it extremely long-lasting. You can also use it in harsh weather environments. The vinyl is UV resistant. You can also use it when it is heavily exposed to the sun. The UV rays are not going to damage your precious belongings.
This bag features a storage space of 21 cubic feet. No matter you are traveling on vacation or relocating, this is a great cargo bag for you.
You can simply mount this bag on the top of your car. There is no need for a luggage rack to get it mounted. You can simply fasten it with the straps. The taped seams of the bag make it efficiently watertight. It can keep your belongings protected from dirt, rainwater, and deposits.
- Made from thick, 500 x 500-denier, UV-resistant vinyl
- Features welded seams to be truly waterproof
- Tiedown straps securely attach to cargo carrier frame
- Zip closure with hook-and-loop flap keeps inside completely dry
- Zippers feature large holes to accept a padlock
- This bag is perfect for you when you make a cross-country trip
- The great storage room in your car will contribute to your pleasure
- This bag can be easily mounted on the roof of your car
- Keeps your stuff safe from debris, rainwater, and sun exposure
- The bag makes a small noise if the weather becomes windy
This amazing roof rack bag with accessories set offers all you will need to get the most out of your car’s packing space. The bag is constructed of a highly durable watertight tarpaulin and includes full-length coated zippers to keep a single drop of rain from getting in and harming your possessions and belongings.
This roof rack bag is made to offer powerful and dependable protection whenever you need it. Providing storage space for 15 and 20 cubic feet, it can be mounted to almost any make and model of the vehicle because of its all-purpose fastening features.
The rugged, machine-welded D-rings and fully adjustable belts ensure that the bag is safely secured during transportation, and the slip-resistant pad ensures that it is always securely in place with no danger of tipping to one side or dropping forward.
Featuring an angled construction that provides awesome wind protection, this bag is unlikely to have a negative influence on your driving experience even when fully packed, and its stunning attention to detail will keep your belongings safe, secure, and in one place.
- Made from durable military-grade tarpaulin
- 100% waterproof features and zippers
- Features double-layer welded components as well as freeze-resistant clips & straps, for a roof bag that will last
- Fits any car – with or without roof rack
- Included with the roof bag, is a protective roof topper mat to prevent scratches or slipping, a carry bag for easy storage when not in use, and a TSA-approved padlock
- 15 cubic feet of storage space
- Supplied with protective mat
- Can be bought with or without rack
- 2-year full refund money-back guarantee
- Possibly not appropriate for some vehicles
- The locking mechanism is not long-lasting
The RoofPax Car Roof Bag and RoofPax Roof Rack, a great premium military specification cargo carrier, delivers maximum safety and of course, lots of storage room for your possessions as you head off on your next adventures.
The carrier mounts to your vehicle’s doors using six-door hitches, meaning no need to stress about mounting the carrier in your vehicle while worrying that you might obstruct your airbags. As for the car top bag itself, it has a watertight finish and is made with double stitching technology.
In addition, it is double-coated and has a safety pad, hook-and-loop tape holders, a durable zipper, clasps, and belt protectors. In case you are searching for a rooftop carrier that can easily accommodate your whole family’s belongings, it is the brightest choice for you.
- Premium quality car top bag is made of military-grade materials
- Waterproof dual seam technology and water-repellent double coating
- Features include a built-in protective mat and 10 elastic velcro strap restrainers to prevent strap flapping
- Provides 19 cubic feet of rooftop cargo storage
- 19 cubic feet of storage space
- 4+2 door hooks and safety pad supplied
- May be bought with or without rack
- Lifelong warranty on zippers and clasps
- Not recommended for rain or snow
- Harnesses are not durable
The material used for this bag is hard-wearing and long-lasting. A couple of people have reported small quantities of water coming in through the zipper, but you can avoid that by using a cover. The straps and clasps for fastening are supplied with the bag. They are strong and hold the bag in place. The shape of the bag can be modified to accommodate various objects.
There is plenty of space for anything inside this bag. This has soft edges to accommodate various size objects. It is simple to fit and simple to use. It can also be folded when not in use. Your baggage will remain clean and dry always. With the six straps provided, it is highly safe.
Feel free to use this bag with every car. The company also sells the charger tray that is necessary for the bag, but it must be bought separately. You can use it for camping, taking road tours, grilling parties, and sporting equipment.
Reese has been making items since 1952. Their products are most famous in the North of America. This carry bag is among their number of products. It is made of heavy-duty material designed to hold your stuff safe and clean. Its huge capacity is suitable for sports equipment and camping stuff.
- 15 Cubic Feet of dry storage
- Rainproof construction with 6 tie-down points included
- Keeps cargo clean and folds flat for easy storage when not in use
- Fits any basket with a platform larger than 60″ x 18.5″
- Made of rain-resistant material
- Comes equipped with 6 straps for fastening
- Sound seal offers an additional layer of protection
- Large, expandable storage room for anything
- Can be folded to a compact size if not in use
- The load carrier to hold it is not supplied
In case you are looking for a very robust carrying bag, you should definitely check out the JUSTINCASE Rooftop Cargo Carrier, as it is a practical addition to your gear.
It is an ultra-large rooftop cargo carrier bag that can hold all your belongings. It features 4 safety door hangers that keep your luggage securely inside. It has a sturdy, built-in safety pad that provides extra protection for your vehicle and belongings.
To prevent fluttering at highway speeds, this bag is equipped with SBS zippers, wide tension straps, three double seatbelt hangers, and eight Velcro straps. It is specially designed for high efficiency and endurance. It is made of high-quality fabric and 100% waterproof to protect your stuff from moisture or rain.
- 15 CF that expands to 19 CF
- 100% waterproof 600D PVC fabric, with ultra-durable dual-seam
- Advanced design
- Protective mat is built in
- Secure and convenient.
- Particularly big bag
- It has an ultra-durable design
- It features an advanced design so you can put as many items in it as you like
- It is made of high-quality material product
- This bag is non-resistant to rainstorms
- It will not keep your bag dry the whole time
- It has poor seams
For an all-in-one cargo carrying option, this package offers all the tools you need to transport pretty much everything in one easy-to-use package. The items in the bundle comprise a heavy-duty steel coupling cargo carrier that has a 500-pound weight capacity and anti-rust finish. The load carrier measures 60′′long by 20′′ wide and 6′′ high having a rising shaft that will make it high enough from the ground for clearance and will make it simpler to pack and unpack.
Also provided is a watertight cargo bag that you can use instead of the steel mesh basket. The extra cargo net keeps the load from sliding around during your ride. Because both the trailer hitch basket and the cargo bag come from the very same manufacturer, it all fits great together. There is no need to get extra equipment to use this set. Simply mount the carrier to your car and store all your belongings in one place.
- Made from heavy-duty abrasion ressitant vinyl
- an extra 2 ratchet straps & cargo net
- the 6″ high metal side rails of our roof rack car top cargo basket carrier
- the roof rack carrier is extendable from 43″ to 64″ in length
- Easy assembly
- All items for one price
- Sturdy steel construction
- Clutch stabilizer supplied
- The cargo net might be slightly on the small side (but it’s a plus for security, so it’s still awesome)
When is a rooftop bag useful?
Roof rack bags are handy little things that can make your life easier in many ways. These are just a few of the many reasons why you should consider buying one.
When traveling by car, there are many things that you need to take with you, but sometimes you have to leave them behind because there is not enough space. You also have to consider how many people are coming along and what all they are taking. It can be difficult to keep everyone happy and still have everything you need.
Road trips, while fun, are long and hectic. You should do everything you can to make the trip easier and more enjoyable. Don’t compromise when it comes to the food you want to take with you, or your guitar or camera bags. All this can be placed in the roof rack bag without taking up space in the car. In this way, everyone is satisfied.
Camping is another example of taking a lot of things with you that you don’t always have room for. There’s the tent, the water cooler, the food, the cooking equipment, and the blankets, just to name a few. You don’t want to go into the wilderness and end up regretting it. Everything you need should be with you. If you have a smaller car or if you have a lot of people traveling with you, a rooftop bag is a great convenience.
If you’re going fishing, have fishing rods with you that are long and pointy and can spell disaster in a car full of people. It’s just safer and smarter to store them in a secure and weatherproof bag on the roof.
Advantages of investing in a high-quality roof rack bag
There are many reasons why you should buy a high-quality roof rack bag. It is always a wise investment.
If your luggage is not strapped tightly enough to the roof, it can fall off, and you could lose or damage your belongings. If you have things like camera lenses or other fragile items inside, this can be a big problem. Low-quality bags come with low-quality straps. These straps will break if the bag is overstuffed or if the car is traveling at high speeds. They can also be affected by rain or road grime. A durable strap can withstand all of these things without damaging your belongings.
If your zipper is defective and opens or breaks easily, dust and other things can get in and damage your things. This can be a big problem if you store your clothes in it. Low-quality bags are also not waterproof and can get your things wet. Good tote bags are double-welded and made of strong, waterproof material and have closed zippers for protection.
When you buy a tote bag, it should last longer than two or three trips. If the material tears too quickly or gets dirty, it’s a waste of money. You will be buying a new bag after a short time. So it’s better to invest in a quality bag that will last for years, even if it costs a little more.
What to look for in a rooftop cargo bag?
As we always say, working with a product is not half as difficult as the actual purchase. Most of us just look at the overall quality and price and think we have it all. But there are other factors that come into play here. Many other people only hear about their favorite brand and pull out their wallets. This is also a big mistake because not every product from a trusted brand can be relied upon.
In the following series, we’ll go over some of the key points to look for when buying car top cases:
- Volume and capacity
The internal volume of the bag is the most important. Usually, the volume is based on the type and size of the vehicle you are using. For small cars, sedans, and vans, we recommend a volume of up to 11 cubic feet.
The 15 cubic feet and above volume group are for SUVs, larger cars, station wagons, trucks, pickups, minivans, and buses. The 20 cubic feet and above are best for larger buses and vans, although most only go up to 18 cubic feet.
- Weight capacity
The weight capacity is also very important. Although technically the bag does not have to lift the weight, the fabric of the bag must hold the weight. If the contents are too heavy, the bag may tear or detach from the car’s roof rack. A weight capacity of 2,000 to 3,000 pounds (1 to 1.5 U.S. tons) seems to be the ideal choice, even for SUVs and vans.
However, this depends on how much you want to haul. For heavier loads, consider a truck or bus, as smaller vehicles will give way. We recommend buying two bags and using two separate vehicles if needed.
- Fabric material
The fabric is the most important part of any roof rack bag. If the fabric is not tight enough, it can tear or wear out underwater. Fabrics are usually made from one of two materials: either nylon or vinyl. Vinyl-based fabrics are the more modern option and are more reliable than nylon-based fabrics.
However, with the right reinforcements, even a nylon bag can last a day. We recommend buying either fabric as the differences are negligible, especially if you are on a tight budget.
- Weather and waterproofing
Bags must be protected from heavy rain and sand. The biggest factor in waterproofing is the fabric. As mentioned earlier, nylon-based fabrics are not particularly durable and will not withstand rain.
However, they can usually withstand sand and road grime. This also depends on the seams. If the seams are loosely closed or not welded, sloppy workmanship can allow water to enter the bag. A zipper is also an ideal place for water to enter. So make sure the zipper is coated on the inside to prevent leakage.
How many times have you had your roof rack bag fall off once you’ve gained a little speed? Carry bags tend to fall off the rack if they are not properly secured. Make sure you have a medium number of straps and belts to secure the bag to the roof. Ideally, you should use a roof rack. If not, door frames can also be used.
The bag should have integrated straps on all four sides, two on each side if you can afford it. The straps and clips should also be made of strong, stretchy fabric to keep the bag securely in place.
How to mount a rooftop cargo bag?
If you want to know how to attach the roof rack bag to your vehicle, you can follow these simple steps.
- Be sure to read all the warnings that come with the product
- Clean the roof of your vehicle
- Place the bag between the crossbars with the zipper facing up
- Place your items inside and properly zipper the bag closed
- Pull the strap through the plastic ring on the bag
- Wrap the strap around the crossbar
- Pull the strap through the buckle
- Repeat the process on each side
A roof rack gives you a lot of extra space and allows you to carry vacation clothes, sports equipment, or other things. They are a great asset and help you avoid replacing your vehicle when it is not really necessary.
However, it is important that you weigh carefully before choosing the right roof rack box or bag for your needs. In this guide, we have presented you with the 9 best roof rack bags for your car. Now you just need to consider what really fits your needs, and then buy the roof rack that you will enjoy for years to come!
Mockins Waterproof Cargo Roof Bag – Video
FAQs about rooftop cargo bag
✅ How to mount a luggage rack without a roof rack?
There are two ways to mount the luggage rack without a roof rack. One is not a safe option. You will have to wrap the bag through the roof with the strap. This can cause problems with the airbags. The other option is to attach the hook to the seal in the door. The bags for vehicles without roof racks come with installation instructions.
✅ Do you need crossbars for a roof rack?
Many vehicles with roof racks already have crossbars installed. If you need a replacement, you can purchase them. However, not every carrier bag needs crossbars. You can check the compatibility of your bag before using it.
✅ Are roof cargo bags safe?
They’re safe if they’re not overloaded, if they’re packed with soft-side luggage and snuggly strapped to the car. A loosely secured cargo bag may slide or let the wind get under the bag.