One of the problems with driving a diesel vehicle is the diesel smell that lingers on your clothes. It never seems to go out, no matter how many times you wash the clothes.
So how do you get the diesel smell out of your clothes? There are several tricks to get the diesel smell out of your clothes.
These include baking soda and vinegar, cola and baking powder, Listerine, and handwashing paste.
All are products that get the smell out fairly well.
How do I get the diesel smell out of my clothes?
You hear some crazy ideas on the internet about how to get the smell out of all sorts of things. We did some research to find as many as we could to help you get the diesel smell out of your clothes.
There are four methods to get the smell out, all of which are pretty easy to do and don’t require a lot of money or time. If they don’t work, you may just have to buy a new shirt. However, I’ve only ever heard good things about these methods and have had good experiences with them myself, so you probably don’t have to.
Baking soda and vinegar
If you want to do everything naturally, this method works, but if the diesel smell is too strong, it may not do a good job. It may take more than a few applications to get the smell out.
Just add as much baking soda and vinegar as you would use regular laundry detergent – add extra to the regular detergent. It’s really not very complicated. Baking soda and vinegar are natural deodorizers, and they are also good at breaking down oils.
Interesting fact: Both are commonly used, cleaning agents. Many toothpaste manufacturers even put it in your toothpaste – to clean your teeth and deodorize your mouth!
Cola and baking soda
Cola is one of those cleaning myths that doesn’t work well on its own. It’s probably the cola and the baking soda that work together. It is the cola as a degrease and the baking soda that works together to get rid of the smell and the stains.
Here are the ingredients and tools you need to try this method:
- Tub of warm water or your washing machine.
- 1 cup of degreasing.
- A 2-liter bottle of cola.
- 1 packet of baking soda.
Step 1: Let the clothes soak in the tub of warm water and degrease(or in your washing machine) for about two hours. (This will break down the oils in the fuel).
Step 2: Drain the water, rinse, and then refill with clean water, your 2-liter bottle of Coke, and the box of baking soda. Mix it really well.
Step 3: Let the clothes soak for about 12-24 hours.
This method works. You could probably even do without the cola, and it would still work in our opinion. It takes a bit of time and money, but it gets the job done. It’s not really our favorite method, but for some people, this is their preferred method, so we included it.
You may think this sounds silly, but Listerine is actually what some firefighters use to get the smell of smoke out of their clothes! It’s a good deodorizer.
All you have to do is put some of it in the washing machine with your clothes and it will not only get rid of the diesel smell but will also clean your washing machine. We don’t know if you need to do it more than once, but it seems like it’s a deodorizer that you only need to use once.
Hand washing paste
Hand washing paste is normally used to clean oil-smeared hands in workshops. It is a hand cleaner, but you can also put it in the washing machine to get rid of the diesel smell.
This is actually the best method to remove the annoying diesel odors.
- Fill laundry container with warm water.
- Pour mustard powder into the water, shake and dissolve.
- Soak things in the solution.
- Wait 2-3 hours.
- Wash in normal mode, adding mustard powder inside the washing machine.
How do I get a diesel stain off my clothes and hands?
Diesel stains are oil-based, which means that normal soap and water are not enough. You need a degreaser or a heavy-duty solvent-based stain removal product.
What not to do with grease stains:
- Do not use chlorine bleach
- Do not put it in the dryer if the stain is still present.
- Do not wash together with clothes without stains.
If the smell is not very intense
Sometimes you may be lucky, and the amount of combustible on the fabric will be negligible. If the stains are not noticeable at all and only the smell indicates the traces of the problem, the thing can not be washed. This type of fuel includes volatile compounds, which themselves can be weathered in the fresh air. To do this, you need to perform a number of actions:
- Hang the clothes in the fresh air, preferably in a draught. Then the weathering process will take place more quickly.
- You can get rid of the unpleasant smell even faster if you direct a household fan to the problem area. The airflow will circulate at a higher speed, and evaporation will take place in a shorter period of time.
- Excellent, if there is a possibility to hang things out in the frosty air. The resulting freshness will not remind you of the unpleasantness that has occurred in any way.
How to remove diesel stains from clothes
When it comes to diesel stains, you have to act fast.
- Quickly make up a lye solution using bile soap, curd soap, or dishwashing liquid. Dissolve the soap or dishwashing liquid in some hot water, mix it with cold water, and pour it into a spray bottle.
- This way you can apply the remedy directly to the stain.
- If it is a large stain, or if the work clothes are totally soiled with diesel, then soak the entire clothing in this lye. Let it work for about 30 minutes.
- Heavily soiled work clothes or jeans can be left to soak overnight.
- Now rinse the textiles and wash them as usual in the washing machine. Select the highest possible temperatures for this.
- However, always wash the clothes with diesel stains separately and not with other textiles. In this way, you avoid that other garments also take on the diesel smell.
🔧 Why does diesel smell so bad?
If the fuel pump relay fails, it will cut off power to the fuel pump, which will render it inoperable, and therefore silent when the ignition is on.
🔧 How do I get the diesel smell out of my car if I spill something?
Listerine, baking soda and vinegar, handwashing paste, or other grease-dissolving and deodorizing agents will help get rid of the diesel smell.
🔧 Is it possible to remove diesel stains from my clothing?
Using a grease-dissolving detergent will ensure that you get grease stains out of your clothing, as long as you wash it as soon as possible after the stain appears. You can also use a solvent-based stain removal product to remove the stain.